Orthodontic treatment can be beneficial for many patients and is often recommended to address bite problems and teeth that are crooked or misaligned. However, many patients resist orthodontic treatment due to the hassles and embarrassment often associated with traditional metal braces.
Louisville KY Dr. Kim Westermann offers invisible braces for patients who do not need bite correction but could enhance their smile and improve dental health with orthodontic treatment. Dr. Westermann is a Six Month Smiles® provider and also offers Invisalign® to address crooked teeth, misaligned teeth, and other mild to moderate orthodontic concerns. Both options offer effective treatment that is completed in about one year with minimal discomfort and inconvenience.
Dr. Westermann will assess your oral health, personal concerns and goals before recommending the option most suited to your unique needs.
Why Straighten Your Teeth?
Most of us consider crooked teeth a cosmetic concern, resisting treatment for a variety of reasons. But crooked teeth can also be the cause of a range of dental problems including tooth decay, tooth damage and TMJ disorders. Crooked teeth are difficult to brush and floss effectively and can create an imbalance in the bite which can lead to TMJ symptoms. Short term orthodontic treatment can give you a smile that not only looks great but supports lasting oral health.
About Six Month Smiles
Clear brackets and tooth colored wires enable patients to achieve their cosmetic goals during a short treatment period and to feel comfortable with the low profile of the appliance. Treatment is typically 4-9 months and results will be lasting with the regular use of a retainer post treatment.
Benefits of Six Month Smiles
- The tooth-colored wires & clear brackets are nearly invisible.
- Average treatment time is six months.
- Braces provide the most predictable & conservative results.
- Safety & hygiene are increased by short treatment time & low forces.
- Six Month Smiles Patient Tray Kits™ make appointments comfortable & fast.
- Six Month Smiles typically is less costly than aligner therapy, traditional braces or veneers.
Dr. Westermann will take an impression of your teeth and send them to the Invisalign laboratory to have a series of custom, clear aligners made for your teeth.
Most patients will receive several sets of trays, each pair is worn for about two weeks to gradually reposition the teeth. The length of treatment depends on your condition as well as your goals. Generally speaking, treatment takes 6 to 9 months, but some patients may achieve the results they want in as few as 3 or 4 months.
Special retainers and follow up visits with Dr. Westermann will help ensure you maintain your straighter smile.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Removable retainers allow for effective brushing and flossing each day
- Clear retainers are comfortable to wear and minimize irritation of the gums and soft tissues
- Treatment is fast compared to traditional metal braces
- Results are predictable and lasting with the use of a maintenance retainer